The village was originally called Pyrie or Estpirie (East Perey), derived from 'pyrige' meaning 'the place where pear trees grow'. Following the introduction of potteries in the 12th century the name was changed to Potters Perry or Potterspury. A medieval pottery kiln was discovered during construction on this site. The parish is dedicated to St. Nicholas and there has been a church on the site since at least 1087. There is still a good village shop containing a post office which successive generations of the Osborne family ran for over 100 years. The site used to be owned by the Duke of Grafton who built the adjacent Grafton Terrace. Potterspury lies on the old Roman Road Watling Street with the remnants of the old Royal Hunting Forest of Whittlewood still preserved to the west of Watling Street.